The mission of Volunteer Maine, the state service commission, is to foster and inspire community service and volunteerism to address critical needs in the State of Maine.
NOTICE: Regular Business Meeting
Friday, June 17, 2022
Maine Govt East Campus, 19 Elkins Lane Rm 110, Augusta, ME 04333
Virtually using this link: https://mainestate.zoom.us/j/89856384304
All business meetings are open to the public who may attend either in person or using the link above. If attending in person. Note that all persons who will be physically present in Room 110 are asked to wear a mask as a sign of concern and respect for everyone in attendance.
The parking lot for 19 Elkins Lane faces the former Eastside Wellness Center and Harlow Building. Entrance to Elkins is through the Williams Pavilion. Use Arsenal Street to enter the campus.
This link shows the location of the building on the campus.
Map for Driving Directions
Public Comment: Anyone who wishes to participate in the public comment using technology is asked to register by sending an email to Service.Commission@maine.gov by 8 am on Friday, May 20, 2022. Individuals who will be present in the meeting room do not need to register.
Time Topic Leader 10:00 Public Comment Tilton-Flood Business Meeting 10:15 Call to Order Tilton-Flood 10:18 Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
2. Quiz Answer
3. Announcements and Appreciations
a. Branham announcement/request regarding Foundation
4. Additions or Deletions to Agenda
5. Motion to approve Consent Agenda
Tilton-Flood Consent Agenda 10:25 A. Business Minutes
Moved that the minutes of the Commission meeting on May 20, 2022 be approved.
B. Executive Committee
Moved that the report of the Executive Committee meeting on June 7, 2022 be accepted.
C. Grant Selection and Performance Task Force
Moved that the report of the Grant Selection and Performance Task Force meeting on June 10, 2022 be accepted.
D. Excellence and Expertise Task Force
Moved that the report of the Excellence and Expertise Task Force meeting on June 1, 2022 be accepted.
Planning and Future Initiatives 10:__ A. No items this month Business Reports
(Reports submitted are posted.)
10:__ A. All reports posted and referenced in consent agenda
Focus on Mission Responsibilities 10:__ No items Business Wrap Up 10:30 pm A. Check-in on hybrid meeting experience
B. Reminder: Next scheduled meeting - September.
C. Adjourn to board training with Thenera Bailey, SISGI. Focus: Commission work and DEI. Session to end at regular time (1:00 PM)
- Reports & Drafts
To facilitate board communication and assure compliance with the requirements for public notice, all Volunteer Maine meetings and work sessions will be posted on this site's Calendar as well as the State of Maine Legislative Calendar.
Task Force chairs are asked to check the dates/times/locations for their groups and notify staff of any changes.
As Volunteer Maine adds new staff and commissioners, we hope this central posting will help us all avoid "double booking" and, at the same time, make communication with partners smoother.
1. Business meeting minutes: May 2022
2. Executive Committee meeting: June 2022
3. Grant Selection and Performance: June 2022
4. Communications: meets 6/14; report to follow
5. Excellence and Expertise: June 1, 2022
6. Research and Evaluation: meets 6/15; report to follow
7. Maine Service Fellows: no meeting before 6/17
Grant Programs Officer: Current
Program Development and Training Officer: Current
Communications Officer: Current
Climate Corps Coordinator: Current
Program Officer for Volunteer Initiatives: Current
Office Administrator: Current
These items are either background for some of the discussions and/or at the Commission meeting or information on national or regional issues that may impact the Commission.
Final policy on remote participation in Commission business meetings
- Commish's Quiz
More than a contest, this is part of the "in-service education" for Commission board members.
Commission Members should: email their response before 5 pm Thursday, June 16, 2022!
Send your answers to Service.Commission@maine.gov. All correct answers will be well rewarded at the meeting.
This Month's Challenge
Q: While there are no board meetings scheduled for July or August, much happens and this year two issues need full input in order to inform planning. Bringing your calendar, what dates would work for you on these items:
1. Retreat and September board meeting: Format is business meeting on morning, retreat part 1 afternoon, retreat part 2 next morning. This year the retreat is a work session related to decisions based on DEI considerations. Which option would best fit your schedule: Sept 15/16 or Sept 22/23
2. The CEO for the federal agency and the Director of AmeriCorps State and National will be formally invited to Maine for a close look at our version of "rural" national service. The Commission usually joins AmeriCorps members and program staff for a round table or meal. Which week is most flexible for you: Sept 19-23 or Sept 26-30
Use this to respond: LINK