Volunteer Maine (Maine's Commission for Community Service) invites comments on its proposed funding priority areas for the period 2021 through 2027. The Commission builds capacity and sustainability in Maine's volunteer and service communities by
- funding programs, particularly AmeriCorps
- developing managers of volunteers,
- raising awareness of sector issues, and
- promoting service as a strategy to address community needs.
Volunteer Maine is Maine government’s partner for the federal that funds AmeriCorps, the Bush Volunteer Generation Fund, and training for leaders of volunteer programs.
The commission, periodically re-examines the areas of community need that it will prioritize for investing AmeriCorps and other funds. The priorities generally apply to grant competitions over which the Commission has full decision-making authority. In these state-level grant competitions, the Commission may opt to only fund proposals within the priorities or it may opt to accept all types of proposals but give preference to those addressing priorities.
In summer 2020, a report to the Commission identified a set of potential priority areas for the board's consideration. The report summary can be found HERE.
At a recent Commission meeting, board members identified the areas on which to focus, taking into consideration the impact volunteers and National Service participants could have on those needs.
FUNDING PRIORITIES for 2021-2027
- Public Health – including substance use and mental health;
- Workforce development – including green jobs and climate crisis/action;
- Housing – affordable and safe housing; and,
- Environmental/community sustainability which would encompass emergency preparedness and aspects of transportation.
Comments on these priorities should be submitted through this ONLINE FORM by December 17, 2020.
Note that the next AmeriCorps competition will open in February 2021 for programs to begin Summer 2021. Anyone interested in assistance with developing a program design should contact Michael Ashmore (email@example.com) no later than January 15, 2021.