The mission of Volunteer Maine, the state service commission, is to foster and inspire community service and volunteerism to address critical needs in the State of Maine.
NOTICE: Regular Business Meeting
Thursday, September 24, 2020
As authorized under Sec. G-1. 1 MRSA §403-A, the Commission will convene using technology. Commission meetings are open to the public. Members of the public can access the meeting use this phone number and code: (929) 205-6099, code: 882 6158 3730#; password: 071561# . A request to make a public comments may be submitted by email to Service.Commission [at] maine.gov any time before 9:00 am on September 24, 2020.
Time Topic Leader 10:00 Public Comment Period Branham 10:10 Call to Order Branham 10:12 Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
2. Quiz Answer
3. Announcements and Appreciations
a. New chair for Financial Oversight
b. Summer board member changes
4. Additions, Deletions, Changes to Agenda
5. Motion to approve the agenda
Branham Consent Agenda (reports/minutes listed here can be found on the "Reports & Drafts" tab above. 10:20 A. Minutes
Moved that the minutes of the Commission meeting on June 26, 2020 be approved.
B. Executive Committee
Moved that the report of the Executive Committee meetings for July 7, August 4, and September 1 be accepted.
Branham Focus on Mission Responsibilities 10:25 A. Inspector General Audit
1. Report from 9/23 exit conference.
B. Annual organizing
1. Schedule of meetings
Branham, Crofton Business Reports
(Reports submitted are posted.)
10:35 A. Grant Selection and Performance
1. Proposed changes in grant administrative policies
2. Call for Peer Reviewers
Barrett 10:45 B. National Public Policy issues
1. Report from ASC committee
2. CORPS Act update
10:55 C. Communications Task Force
1. Update on education award legislation exploration
Tilton-Flood 11:05 D. Executive Committee
1. Appointments update
2. Actions related to 3 research projects completed this summer
Branham 11:15 F. Volunteer Maine Staff
1. Staff changes
2. Volunteer Generation new project direction
3. State budget reductions and changes
4. Major summer projects in the office
5. Maine Volunteer Leadership Conference
11:25 G. CNCS Update
1. CNCS rebrand: introduce new name(s) and logo(s)
2. New Maine VISTA project at Dept. of Agriculture, Conservation, Forestry
Cheesman Planning and Future Initiatives 11:26 A. No known issues at time of publication Business Wrap Up 11:30 pm A. Reminder: Complete meeting evaluation forms (link is in email sent after meeting)
B. Next meeting (TBD by board action above)
- Reports & Drafts
To facilitate board communication and assure compliance with the requirements for public notice, all Volunteer Maine meetings and work sessions will be posted on this site's Calendar as well as the State of Maine Legislative Calendar.
Task Force chairs are asked to check the dates/times/locations for their groups and notify staff of any changes.
As Volunteer Maine adds new staff and commissioners, we hope this central posting will help us all avoid "double booking" and, at the same time, make communication with partners smoother.
- Business meeting minutes: June 2020
- Executive Committee: July 2020; August 2020; September 2020
- Grant Selection and Performance: report to be posted
- Communications: July 2020; August 2020; September 2020
- Financial Oversight: no report
MCCS Team Report:
Grant Programs Officer: Current
Program Development and Training Officer: Current
Communications Officer: July; Current
Office Administrator: Current
1) Report on potential funding priorities: DOC; slide briefing
2) Use of AmeriCorps education award in Maine institutions and case study of where 150+ people who served in Maine used their awards: Compiled Report
- Commish's Quiz
More than a contest, this is part of the "in-service education" for Commission board members.
Commission Members should email their response before 5 pm Wednesday, September 23, 2020!
Send your answers to Service.Commission@maine.gov. All correct answers will be well rewarded.
This Month's Challenge
After a crazy busy summer, we thought we would give you an easy quiz to start the September-June year!
Below are all the Commission's AmeriCorps grantees. Sort into the correct category: competitive, formula, planning grant. Just list the category and then the letters associated with the name of the grantees in the category.
A. Healthy Acadia
B. Colby College
C. Univ. of Southern Maine/ Maine Campus Compact
D. Maine Youth Alliance
E. Kennebec Valley CAP/Educare
F. Penquis Community Action
G. UMaine Center on Aging
J. Greater Portland Council of Governments
K. Main Street Skowhegan
L. Alfond Youth and Community Center
M. Maine Conservation Corps
N. Seeds of Hope
O. Town of Van Buren
P. Maine Development Foundation