The mission of the Maine Commission for Community Service is to foster and inspire community service and volunteerism to address critical needs in the State of Maine.
Notice of Regular Business Meeting
Friday, May 17, 2019
Maine Govt East Campus, 19 Elkins Lane Rm 110, Augusta, ME 04333
All business meetings are open to the public. The parking lot faces the Eastside Wellness Center and Harlow Building. Use Arsenal Street to enter the campus.
This link shows the location of the building on the campus.
Map for Driving Directions
Time Topic Leader 10:00 Public Comment Period Branham 10:15 Call to Order Branham 10:17 Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
2. Quiz Answer
3. Announcements and Appreciations
4. Additions, Deletions, Changes to Agenda
5. Motion to approve the agenda
Branham Consent Agenda 10:30 A. Minutes
Moved that the minutes of the Commission meeting on April 19, 2019 be approved.
B. Executive Committee
Moved that the report of the Executive Committee meeting on May 7, 2019 be accepted.
Moved that the report of the Communications Task Force meeting on May 8, 2019 be accepted..
Branham Focus on Mission Responsibilities 10:35 A. The Corporation for National and Community Service Transformation Plan: From a state commission perspective. Briefing by ASC Executive Director, Kaira Esgate Branham Business Reports
(Reports submitted are posted.)
11:00 A. Financial Oversight
1. Commission feedback on proposed scorecard for finances
Burns 11:10 B. National Public Policy issues
1. States for Service - 2020 federal budget House mark up
2. America's Service Commissions
11:15 C. Maine Service Fellows
1. Update from 5/18 meeting
Hite 11:20 D. Communications
1. Discussion and feedback from Commissioners on new logo/emblem
Tilton-Flood 11:30 K. MCCS Staff
1. Maine Volunteer Leadership Conference update
2. Professional Development Fund application deadlines
3. Request in state budget for general funds
MCCS staff 11:45 L. CNCS Update Hite Planning and Future Initiatives 11:50 A. No items for consideration this month Business Wrap Up 11:55 pm A. Reminder: Complete meeting evaluation forms
B. Next meeting (June 21, 2019 -- Rm 110, MCCS Offices)
C. Adjourn to meeting with Maine Volunteer Foundation
- Reports & Drafts
To facilitate board communication and assure compliance with the requirements for public notice, all MCCS meetings and work sessions will be posted on this site's Calendar as well as the State of Maine Legislative Calendar.
Task Force chairs are asked to check the dates/times/locations for their groups and notify staff of any changes.
As MCCS adds new staff and commissioners, we hope this central posting will help us all avoid "double booking" and, at the same time, make communication with partners smoother.
1. Business meeting minutes: April
2. Executive Committee meeting: May
3. Grant Selection and Performance: no report
4. Communications: May
5. Maine Service Fellows: meeting is 5/16
6. Financial Oversight: no report
MCCS Team Report:
Grant Programs Officer: Current
Program Development and Training Officer: Current
Check out photo records of recent events in the MCCS Media Gallery
New video to introduce Commission at Service Enterprise orientations
National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service: January 2019 interim report
- Commish's Quiz
More than a contest, this is part of the "in-service education" for Commission board members.
Commission Members should: email their response before 5 pm Thursday, May 16, 2019!
Send your answers to Service.Commission@maine.gov. All correct answers will be well rewarded at the meeting.
This Month's Challenge
Many factors have raised the profile of National Service in Congress and stirred interest in making improvements that have been discussed for over 10 years.
One recent Senate bill, introduced by Senator Jack Reed of RI, has pulled together several of the ideas.
QUIZ QUESTIONS FOR MAY:
1. Currently the value of the AmeriCorps education award is tied to the value of a Pell Grant. How would S. 994 change determination of the value?
2. The bill proposes doing something the Maine Commissoin for Community Service did in 2015 (following the example of other states). What is it?
Reference document from Congress.gov: S.994 (https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/s994/BILLS-116s994is.pdf)