DATE: Friday, March 17, 2017
TIME: 10 am - 12 pm
Conference Room, Klahr Holocaust and Human Rights Center, Univ. of Maine Augusta, 46 University Drive, Augusta, ME 04330
All business meetings are open to the public. The closest parking is the lot in front of the Randall Student Center. This link goes to a map of the campus layout.
TOPIC LEADER 10:00 Public Comment Period Portela 10:10 Call to Order Portela 10:12 Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
3. Quiz Answer
4. Additions or Deletions to Agenda
Portela Focus on Mission/Responsibilities 10:15 A. State Service Commissions' views of federal budgets Crofton Planning and Future Initiatives 10:25 A. Phase One: Commissioner discussion of re-branding issue raised at summer 2016 retreat Cook/Mojonnier 10:40 B. Commission Hosting of National Service Program Staff in April Portela/Crofton 10:45 C. New Report: profile of 5 years of AmeriCorps members "from away" who stayed after service term ended Cook/Crofton Business Reports
(Reports submitted are posted.)
10:55 A. Minutes
Portela 11:00 B. Grant Selection and Performance
1. Report on AmeriCorps National Direct ratings
2. Recommendations on immediate Maine Rural AmeriCrops grant competition
Wihry 11:10 B. Executive Committee
1. February 2017 and March 2017 meeting notes posted. Respond to any requests for clarifications.
2. Status of appointment recommendations
Portela 11:15 C. ASC Update
1. Public policy coalition and Maine membership
Portela/Holmes 11:20 E. Excellence and Expertise
1. Meeting report from March 15
Wentworth 11:30 F. Public Information and Education/ Public Policy
1. Report from March 13 meeting
TBD 11:35 H. CNCS Regional Office update Hite 11:45 I. MCCS Staff
1. AmeriCorps opiod and prescription drug abuse coalition update
2. Governor's Service Awards and Roll of Honor event updates
Crofton/Ashmore Business Wrap Up 11:55 A. Adjourn to Task Force Work Sessions
1. Reminder: Complete meeting evaluation forms
2. Next business meeting is April 21, 2017- Note location change!
- Cross Office Building, Room 103, Augusta
- Reports and Drafts
To facilitate board communication and assure compliance with the requirements for public notice, all MCCS meetings and work sessions will be posted on the Events page (internet calendar) as well as the State of Maine Legislative Calendar.
Task Force chairs are asked to check the dates/times/locations for their groups and notify staff of any changes.
As MCCS adds new staff and commissioners, we hope this central posting will help us all avoid "double booking" and, at the same time, make communication with partners smoother.
1. Business meeting minutes: January 2017
2. Executive Committee: February 2017; March 2017
3. Excellence & Expertise: February 2017; March meeting will be March 22
MCCS Team Report:
Grant Programs Officer: March 2017
Training and Program Development Officer: February 2017 ; January 2017
As if you were there: Photo gallery from March 1 National Service Day at the Capitol
2012-2016 Profile of Non-resident Maine AmeriCorps Members who stay
AmeriCorps Affiliate program: Description (the previously embedded link has been removed because it no longer exists), Deadlines for 2017
Strategy report from ASC, Service Year, and CNCS: Expanding Service Years in States
- Commish's Quiz
More than a contest, this is part of the "in-service education" for Commission board members.
Commission Members should: email their response before 5 pm Thursday, March 16, 2017!
Send your answers to Service.Commission@maine.gov. All correct answers will be well rewarded at the meeting.
This Month's Challenge
ASC (pronounced "ask") is appearing in conversation more and more often. So, this month's quizz challenges you three ways:
-- What does ASC stand for?
-- Which two board members are physically closest to Maine?
-- How many staff does ASC have?
Your reference for this month can be found at statecommissions.org