Friday, October 19, 2018
Dept. of Economic and Community Development
Room 339 Cross Office Building, 111 Sewall St, Augusta, ME 04333
All business meetings are open to the public. The closest parking is the State Parking Garage on the corner of Sewall and Capitol streets. Enter the Cross Office Building from the Capitol Street side and walk to the middle of the building where elevators can take visitors to third floor.
10:00 Pre-meeting events Swearing in new Commissioner Portela Public Comment Period 10:15 Call to Order Branham 10:17 Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
2. Quiz Answer
3. Announcements and Appreciations
4. Additions or Deletions to Agenda
Branham Focus on Mission Responsibilities 10:25 A. Briefing on Grant Selection Process and Subsequent Monitoring
1. Selection process with emphasis on tech review tasks of Commissioners
2. Monitoring of grantees - two forms of monitoring, what is reviewed, timing, how is it submitted, what is done with the results
M Ashmore Business Reports
(Reports submitted are posted.)
10:45 A. Minutes
1. September meeting. Minutes posted for review.
Branham 10:50 B. Executive Committee
1. Review of appointments and task force/ad hoc chairs
2. Respond to questions about September meeting notes
Branham 10:55 C. Grant Selection and Performance
1. Meeting notes are posted. Action on 2 recommendations from notes.
Barrett 11:10 D. Excellence and Expertise
1. No report.
TBD 11:12 E. America's Service Commissions (ASC) Public Policy Committee update Crofton 11:17 H. Public Information and Education/ Public Policy
1. No report.
TBD 11:19 I. CNCS Update Hite 11:24 J. MCCS Staff
1. External Peer Reviewer Recruitment
2. Staff changes and interim assignments
3. Conference rebranding
MCCS staff Planning and Future Initiatives 11:35 A. Informational items from retreat
1. CNCS organizational chart (L Hite)
2. Electronic attendance at meetings (C Branham)
3. What is VolunteerMaine.org (C Branham)
B. MCCS Budget and Funding (Crofton)
1. Briefing on funding sources, restrictions, uses
2. Action on budget for Jan-Dec 2019 for Commission operation.
Business Wrap Up 12:00 pm A. Reminder: Complete meeting evaluation forms
B. Next meeting (November 9)
- Reports and Drafts
To facilitate board communication and assure compliance with the requirements for public notice, all MCCS meetings and work sessions will be posted on this site's Calendar as well as the State of Maine Legislative Calendar.
Task Force chairs are asked to check the dates/times/locations for their groups and notify staff of any changes.
As MCCS adds new staff and commissioners, we hope this central posting will help us all avoid "double booking" and, at the same time, make communication with partners smoother.
1. Business meeting minutes: September 2018
2. Executive Committee meeting: October 2018
3. Grant Selection and Performance: October 2018
MCCS Team Report:
Grant Programs Officer: Current
Program Development and Training Officer: Current
These items are either background for some of the discussions and/or at the Commission meeting or information on national or regional issues that may impact the Commission.
Certificate in Management of Volunteers -- MCCS online course schedule for 2018-2019 (please share)
Infographic version of MCCS strategic plan.
- Commish's Quiz
More than a contest, this is part of the "in-service education" for Commission board members.
Commission Members should: email their response before 5 pm Wednesday, September 19, 2018!
Send your answers to Service.Commission@maine.gov. All correct answers will be well rewarded at the meeting.
This Month's Challenge
Congress has passed the fiscal year 2019 Labor, Health and Human Services and Education Appropriations Bill, the legislation that funds the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). The spending package includes $1.08 billion for the service agency, a $19 million increase over fiscal year 2018.
QUESTION: How much of the increase will Senior Corps get?