The mission of the Maine Commission for Community Service is to foster and inspire community service and volunteerism to address critical needs in the State of Maine.
Notice of Regular Business Meeting
Friday, June 21, 2019
Maine Govt East Campus, 19 Elkins Lane Rm 110, Augusta, ME 04333
All business meetings are open to the public. The parking lot faces the Eastside Wellness Center and Harlow Building. Use Arsenal Street to enter the campus.
This link shows the location of the building on the campus.
Map for Driving Directions
Time Topic Leader 10:00 Public Comment Period Pellenz 10:15 Call to Order Pellenz 10:17 Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
2. Quiz Answer
3. Announcements and Appreciations
4. Additions, Deletions, Changes to Agenda
5. Motion to approve the agenda
Pellenz Consent Agenda 10:30 A. Minutes
Moved that the minutes of the Commission meeting on May 17, 2019 be approved.
B. Executive Committee
Moved that the report of the Executive Committee meeting on June 4, 2019 be accepted.
Pellenz Planning and Future Initiatives 10:35 A. Commission retreat
1. Proposed dates. Call for planning committee volunteers. Commissioners' thoughts on content.
B. Summer/early fall schedule
C. Report on May 17 meeting with Maine Volunteer Foundation
D. Champion of Service Award nominations
(Reports submitted are posted.)
10:40 A. Financial Oversight
1. Commission feedback on proposed scorecard for finances
Burns/Shorty 10:45 B. National Public Policy issues
1. 2020 federal budget
10:50 C. Maine Service Fellows
1. Update from 6/20 meeting
Hite 11:00 D. Grant Selection and Performance
1. Recommendations for AmeriCorps Formula Continuation Awards
2. Recommendations for new AmeriCorps Formula program awards
Barrett 11:15 E. Communications
1. Proposed tag line and other items from meeting.
11:20 F. MCCS Staff
1. Maine Volunteer Leadership Conference update
2. Request in state budget for general funds
3. Communications Officer hiring process
4. Summer and Sept/Oct Commission schedule
MCCS staff 11:30 G. CNCS Update Hite Focus on Mission Responsibilities 11:35 A. Report on May 21 meeting with CNCS leadership Tilton-Flood Business Wrap Up 11:45 pm A. Reminder: Complete meeting evaluation forms
B. Next meeting (Sept. 26/27, 2019 -- Rm 110, MCCS Offices)
C. Adjourn to task force meetings
- Reports & Drafts
To facilitate board communication and assure compliance with the requirements for public notice, all MCCS meetings and work sessions will be posted on this site's Calendar as well as the State of Maine Legislative Calendar.
Task Force chairs are asked to check the dates/times/locations for their groups and notify staff of any changes.
As MCCS adds new staff and commissioners, we hope this central posting will help us all avoid "double booking" and, at the same time, make communication with partners smoother.
1. Business meeting minutes: May
2. Executive Committee meeting: June
3. Grant Selection and Performance: June
- Continuation Recommendations
- New GrantCompetition Report
4. Communications: June
5. Maine Service Fellows: June
6. Financial Oversight: (meeting June 20)
See handout under Background (below) to prep for agenda discussion.
MCCS Team Report:
Grant Programs Officer: Current
Program Development and Training Officer: Current
Handout from May that is basis of task force request for feedback on Commission agenda
Notes from joint meeting of representatives of Commission and Maine Volunteer Foundation
- Commish's Quiz
More than a contest, this is part of the "in-service education" for Commission board members.
Commission Members should: email their response before 5 pm Thursday, June 20, 2019!
Send your answers to Service.Commission@maine.gov. All correct answers will be well rewarded at the meeting.
This Month's Challenge
On June 15, Maine legislators approved the state government budget and appropriation for the next two fiscal years. The general fund request submitted by MCCS was included.
Question: what is the amount for each year?
Bonus: What MCCS initiative will be supported by the funds under "all other" in the budget?
Reference hint: State Budget enacted, see page 187