DATE: Friday, January 13, 2017
TIME: 10 am - 12 pm
Conference Room, Klahr Holocaust and Human Rights Center, Univ. of Maine Augusta, 46 University Drive, Augusta, ME 04330
All business meetings are open to the public. The closest parking is the lot in front of the Randall Student Center. This link goes to a map of the campus layout.
TOPIC LEADER 10:00 Public Comment Period Portela 10:10 Call to Order Portela 10:12 Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
3. Quiz Answer
4. Additions or Deletions to Agenda
Portela Focus on Mission/Responsibilities 10:15 A. Briefing: Operating Requirements of a Public Board/Commission in Maine Forster Planning and Future Initiatives 10:45 A. Briefing: ServiceYear-New opportunity for Maine communities and which want to explore it Ashmore 11:00 B. Proposal to change model used for strategic planning Wihry/Portela C. Other Business Reports
(Reports submitted are posted.)
11:10 A. Minutes
Portela 11:15 B. Executive Committee
1. December 2016 and January 2017 meeting notes posted. Respond to any requests for clarifications.
2. Status of appointment recommendations
Portela 11:25 C. ASC Update
1. Public policy news
Holmes 11:30 D. Grant Selection and Performance
1. Report on AmeriCorps State Competition - new proposals
2. Recommendations on AmeriCorps State Competitive continuations
3. Recognition of peer reviewers
Wihry 11:40 E. Excellence and Expertise
1. Meeting notes posted. Respond to any clarification requests.
Wentworth 11:45 F. Public Information and Education/ Public Policy
1. Report from December 2016 and January 2017 meetings posted
TBD 11:50 H. CNCS Regional Office update Hite 11:55 I. MCCS Staff
1. CNCS anticipated grant competitions and dates
2. Update on Service Enterprise Training Network
Crofton/Ashmore Business Wrap Up 12:10 A. Adjourn to Task Force Work Sessions
1. Reminder: Complete meeting evaluation forms
2. Next business meeting is March 17, 2017- Univ. of Maine Augusta, Augusta, ME
- Reports and Drafts
To facilitate board communication and assure compliance with the requirements for public notice, all MCCS meetings and work sessions will be posted on the Events page (internet calendar) as well as the State of Maine Legislative Calendar.
Task Force chairs are asked to check the dates/times/locations for their groups and notify staff of any changes.
As MCCS adds new staff and commissioners, we hope this central posting will help us all avoid "double booking" and, at the same time, make communication with partners smoother.
1. Business meeting minutes: November 2016
2. Executive Committee: December 2016; January 2017
3. Excellence and Expertise: December 2016; January 2017
4. Grant Selection and Performance: January 2017
- New proposal: University of Southern Maine for Maine Campus Compact
- New proposal: Eastern Maine Development Corp.
- Continuation: Maine Conservation Corps
- Continuation: LearningWorks
5. Public Information and Education: December 2016; January 2017
PIE meets the same week as business meeting. The Jan report will appear as soon as possible.
MCCS Team Report:
Grant Programs Officer: See task force reports
Training and Program Development Officer: December 2016; January 2017
National Service Outreach Assistant: January 2017
Governor's Awards for Service and Volunteerism: Nominations open
- Commish's Quiz
More than a contest, this is part of the "in-service education" for Commission board members.
Commission Members should: email their response before 5 pm Thursday, Jan. 12, 2017!
Send your answers to Service.Commission@maine.gov. All correct answers will be well rewarded at the meeting.
This Month's Challenge
In addition to the MCCS websites (MaineServiceCommission.gov and VolunteerMaine.org), there are two facebook pages: Maine Commission for Community Service and VolunteerMaine.
QUESTION: How many "likes" does each have?
Oh, while you are there - do you follow us? Hit "like" on either site or both. We try to put National Service and Commission info on the MCCS page and general volunteer info on the VolunteerMaine page.