The mission of Volunteer Maine, the state service commission, is to foster and inspire community service and volunteerism to address critical needs in the State of Maine.
NOTICE: Regular Business Meeting
Friday, December 18, 2020
As authorized under Sec. G-1. 1 MRSA §403-A, the Commission will convene using technology. Commission meetings are open to the public and livestreamed. Members of the public can access the meeting through this URL -- LINK TO LIVE STREAM. A request to make a public comments may be submitted by email to Service.Commission [at] maine.gov any time before 8:00 am on December 18, 2020.
10:00 Public Comment Period Branham 10:10 Call to Order Branham 10:12 Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
2. Quiz Answer
3. Announcements and Appreciations
-- Chair for Excellence and Expertise
4. Additions, Deletions, Changes to Agenda
5. Motion to approve the agenda including consent agenda
Branham Consent Agenda (reports/minutes listed here can be found on the "Reports & Drafts" tab above. A. Minutes
Moved that the minutes of the Commission meeting on October 16, 2020 be approved.
B. Executive Committee
Moved that the report of the Executive Committee meetings for November 3 and December 3 be accepted.
C. Communications Task Force
Moved that the report of Communications Task Force meeting for November 18 be accepted.
Branham Focus on Mission Responsibilities 10:35 A. Report of public comments submitted regarding proposed funding priorities.
1. Consideration of whether comments alter priorities and final adoption of priorities listed in October minutes.
B. Inspector General Audit
B. Maine Service Fellows legislative proposal
C. Commission assignment in the Maine climate action report
Branham, Crofton Business Reports
(Reports submitted are posted.)
11:00 A. Grant Selection and Performance
1. Action on application for AmeriCorps continuation funding
2. Action on application for new AmeriCorps awards
3. Peer Reviewer appreciation
4. Grantee withdrawl from project
Barrett 11:20 B. National Public Policy issues
1. Report from ASC committee
-- transition team and letter
-- fate of national service expansion and funding bills
11:35 C. Communications Task Force
1. Update on education award legislation exploration
2. New website project report
3. PBS American Portrait - Maine involvement
Tilton-Flood 11:50 D. Financial Oversight
1. Report of meeting
Shorty 12:00 E. Excellence and Expertise
1. Report of meeting
Asselin-Hawthorne 12:10 F. Volunteer Maine Staff
1. Progress on filling staff vacancies
2. Update on Maine Ready integration of medical database
3. Renewal of Masonic Charitable Foundation partnership
12:20 G. CNCS Update
Cheesman 12:30 H. Report from Maine Volunteer Foundation TBA Planning and Future Initiatives 12:40 A. No known items Business Wrap Up 12:45 pm A. Reminders:
1. Complete meeting evaluation forms
2. Third session of New Commissioner Orientation, January 15, 2020
3. Next meeting February 19 at 10 am
- Reports and Drafts
To facilitate board communication and assure compliance with the requirements for public notice, all Volunteer Maine meetings and work sessions will be posted on this site's Calendar as well as the State of Maine Legislative Calendar.
Task Force chairs are asked to check the dates/times/locations for their groups and notify staff of any changes.
As Volunteer Maine adds new staff and commissioners, we hope this central posting will help us all avoid "double booking" and, at the same time, make communication with partners smoother.
Minutes for review
1. Business meeting minutes: October 16
3. Grant Selection and Performance: December 11
Please review Task Force reports to Commission regarding applications for funding
-- LearningWorks application for continuation (year 3) funding
-- Maine Conservation Corps application for new 3-year grant
-- Healthy Acadia application for new 3-year grant
4. Communications: meets Dec. 16; report at board meeting
5. Financial Oversight: report at board meeting
6 Excellence & Expertise: December 2
Volunteer Maine Team Report:
Grant Programs Officer: No report
Program Development and Training Officer: Current
Communications Officer: Current
Maine Climate Council Report (see page 100 for Commission assignment)
- Commish's Quiz
More than a contest, this is part of the "in-service education" for Commission board members.
Commission Members should email their response before 5 pm Thursday, October 15, 2020.
Send your answers to Service.Commission@maine.gov. All correct answers will be well rewarded.
This Month's Challenge
Representative Morgan Rielly (Westbrook) has submitted a bill to establish the Maine Service Fellows program. This LINK opens the overview of the legislative program.
Q: What is the mission of the program and what are the focus areas Service Fellows' assignments would tackle?