The adult Roll of Honor is a statewide effort to show appreciation to adults who go above and beyond in terms of the time they devote to serving their communities.
Normally this event would be held in April, but due to a year like we have never seen, we have decided to shift the nominations to include the calendar year of COVID-19 response, with the event held in June. Hours will be counted from March 1, 2020 to February 28, 2021. The number of hours required for adults has been reduced due COVID and the required social distancing throughout the year.
Any local organization can nominate someone who meets the criteria: town office, school, nonprofit or public agency. There is no cost to the nominator or person honored thanks to civic minded sponsors.
The Maine Volunteer Roll of Honor recognizes volunteers age 19 and older who meet the following criteria
- devoted 250 hours or more of volunteer service to the community during the past twelve months (March 1 – February 28) preceding nomination deadline. Note charitable giving (i.e., participating in walkathons or other events to raise money) and court-ordered community service may not be counted.
- service hours are documented by the program(s) or organization(s) with whom the volunteer served.
Individuals added to the Maine Volunteer Rolls of Honor are recognized in the following ways:
- A Governor's Awards for Service and Volunteerism certificate signed by the Governor with the person's name and total hours of service during the prior year.
- A commemorative pin.
- Listing by name, town, and hours of service in an advertisement published in Bangor Daily News. This form of recognition is intended to generate more local congratulations from neighbors and friends of the volunteer.
- Submission Deadline and Instructions
Nominations are due
April 30 by 5 p.m.(DEADLINE EXTENDED!) Friday, May 7 at 5 p.m.
- All nominations must be submitted using the spreadsheet file provided below. It should be sent as an email attachment to Kelsey.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download this NOMINATION DATA file. (Excel spreadsheet)
- Be sure to read the directions and complete all the fields requested. This is important since the data you provide is used to fill out the certificate and compose the newspaper and event listings.
- EMAIL the form as an attachment to Kelsey.email@example.com